The suggested resources and accompanying activities below are intended to help your students understand how MPs are elected, their role, and government responsibilities at the federal level.
We hope you find the two lessons easy to navigate and implement in your classroom. Each lesson contains a structured plan with suggested teaching strategies, editable PowerPoints, worksheets, handouts and helpful additional resources. Feel free to review our more comprehensive federal government activities and resources at www.studentvote.ca.
Please personalize the materials depending on your classroom needs or availability. As always, we are here to help, so please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns.
Lesson 1: Preparing for the Visit [PDF]
- Video: The Levels of Government [YouTube]
- Handout 1.1: Government Responsibilities [PDF]
- Worksheet 1.2: Whose Responsibility is it? [PDF] [WORD]
- PowerPoint A – Members of Parliament [PPT]
- Handout 1.3: A Framework for Planning Your MP Visit [PDF]
- Worksheet 1.4: Questions for your MP [PDF] [WORD]